Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Where to Now?

Lots learnt at Geelong. I got the Tiger going faster than ever, always finishing just behind a few boats by about what I lose in one or two poor tacks or gybes. I probably should just practice and get fitter but that sounds like hard work and not as interesting as boat development for my mind. And I have people interested in buying the Tiger so its on with progress on Karma.

So using as many good ideas from others as I can adapt here is where I am going:
Foils:
I have John Ilett foils, and I have already installed a piano type hinge from carbon tubes, this should reduce drag somewhat like the gap closure design on the Mach2 foil.
I have an Ilett aft foil buat may also build another symetrical one. My previous one is bigger and thicker than Dave's so I might be able to improve it.
The verticals are molded and ready for finishing, as light as I have made, proven laminate, but with the top end tapered to reduce weight of both foil and case. Makes for a neaster no-jam fit too.
Either way the foils are interchangeable as the slip in Tees are working and I am comfortable with the sesign and laminate now. Will make packing for US Worlds easier.
Hull:
In the light stuff the old Tiger hull was still fastest. I just did not get a race where nonone foiled so could not prove it is still the best. Even AMAC commented during one of the prerace drift offs that it moves well through the water. So I am comfortable with Karma's Hungry Tiger heriatage. It will be fasts when no one foils.
But everyone else is getting lower, but not as low as Karma. And I will have less windage still with curved decks and as the gap between hull and trampoline will eliminate the wind brake. So it should be good when foiling too. It weighs 8.5kg, on pace with the lightest.
Wings:
Smaller: The aft wing is forward 400mm from transom. The forward wing is back a bit and both are simple Vs set on struts above the deck, like Greg K, Fuzzy Logic, Hobiecat, C Cats. The wings are only 1600 apart so the outer tubes are smaller and lighter too. Should save a few kg here on the old boat.
Rig:
I have the new KA and CST so I have to adapt these to suit the ustayed or minimum stayed rig.
I have some 50m and 60mm tubes coming to extend the mast to max moth length and to plug into the hull. I have no issue with strength at the deck having learnt from Chainsaw and the Canoe. Initially I will try using forward raked diamond on the mast to manage mast bend above the deck. Worked for the other two boats enough to encorage a more refined development of the idea. I may get lucky enough to get the mast to match the bend on the conventional satyed rigs so the sail will not need adjustment but thats proabbly unlikely. It may be close as the KA is not much different to the luff curve on the canoe sail.
I am keen to avoid stays for two reasons. Safety, I have had some bad collissions with wire and seen some a lot worse. Efficiency: In light stuff the modern sails can not be squared out because of excess depth and very hard battens against the stays. The unstayed rig will go right out and the boat will run fast. Also there will be less windage from wires and struts by 30%..
Comfort:
I have a few shin abrasions but not as many as some prople. With the full width trampoline it is very soft on the body. And running side to side is juat as easy.
More ideas:
I am planning to rig the wings flatter and higher than on Tiger, one reason is to avoid the drag of the aft corner at take off, but also to minimise the windage of the leward wing when healed to windward.
Wand and Linkages:
I like Luka's adjustable length wand, Not sure about all of Dave's strings, I like to keep things simple. I have swithed the belcrank from the top of the fin to the hull and changed the orientation so the wand pushrod now acts in tension and hence will be a piece of 2mm vectran line. And I will have another version of the quick engage system I have on the tiger.

Enough free ideas for now. I know a lot of other mothies will be doing similar. Thats what keeps the class moving forward.

Back to the shed I do not want to be without a boat for too long.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"so the wand pushrod now acts in tension and hence will be a piece of 2mm vectran line."

Are there anyone who tried to use hydraulics for this connection. Similar to hydraulics used in brakes on bicycles instead of cables?