Sunday, January 4, 2009

Holiday fun

Christmas New year is traditional holiday time in Aust, but for the retired we get to go to work on a voluntary basis.
I spent the last week manning the mark laying boat for the Mirror Nationals, good company, nice scenery off Middle harbour, but not a lot of action with a fleet of mirrors. I was just helping out a group of good friends from Hunters Hill and Balmoral clubs.
After day one, one of these people really asked for trouble by saying honestly that the photos from the rigging park were more interesting than the sailing photos. She was relaxed enough to not anticipate my reply: "thats where all the action was", but I got away with it alive.
There was one day where a good SE and a little sea swell allowed the leaders to surf, and I honestly had not seen mirrors go that fast before. They had fun.
Anyway I have now made a contribution to our sport and will feel thankful to those who will be running our Geelong Nationals, knowing what they have given up for us.
On the only morning I was able to get the moth in the water there was only 5 to 8 kts and I spent most of the time with the hull in the a water. I was sailing with flyweight, Allan Goddard and his brand new Prowler and although he was noticably flying sooner, I thought my speed once up was reasonable.
I will get a more runs in the next few weeks before we all go to Geelong for the Nationals. Mostly practice turning corners.

No comments: