Monday, January 26, 2009

Geelong Results

Details are on http://topyachtsoftware.com/results/2009/sgw/series/moth/SGrp1.htm
Re my predictions, I think I got 8 or 9 of the top 10. And 16 of the top 20, so my result of 22 was about on target but one short of my longstanding ambition of top 50%. And i missed master (over 45) to my Pommie/Bladerider/Balmoral team mate Martin Cross. We were close at least some of the time in most races.
At the middle of the fleet we had the oportunity/embarrasment of a swim, coming up to then be racing against a different group of boats.
My boat was going very well, I lost out due to a few swims and some bad tactical decicions, my excuse is age and agility. I used the new KA MSL 13 and CST mast purchased for Karma.
My best race was 14th, one light day when I rounded the last mark with a bunch including 3rd place Scott, leaving Luka and Dave behind. Not all bad, I just could not quite stay with the bunch downwind.
The top sailors are very good, a few full timers but some fast weekenders too. Lots of variety in boats and rigs which is good for the class. While the top BR or Mach2 would need a mortgage on your first born, some home builts are up there too. More comments on the new stiff coming in another specific post.
Suffice to say, Nathan on Bladerider proved the best regatta sailor, Simon on Mach2 won the most races, but Dave's home made boat with Prowler foil had the fastest downwind speed once there when the wind was up.

No comments: