Monday, February 18, 2008

Well fine sanding the foils and changing the main foil incidence seemed to pay off. The boat seemed fast in the 15kt southerly on Saturday. A handicap start so I was never near the fast duo, but I was sailing away from Grant which is a serious improvement on recent form.

Upwind itjust felt smoother and retained speed and height much more easilly, downwind it went deeper and was much more manageable. It will now stay up through the gybes when I move my body quickly enough.

So that was the good news, but there is always bad as well. 2/3 way through the race there was an unexplained decent and splash followed by a serious reluctance to fly. After a while I worked out the main foil was absent, and even though I returned to the scene of the crime I was unable to find it. It must have felt lonely and gone to join the several other foils lost in the river a few years ago. I continued teh race on the hull for another lap and still finished 3rd so not all bad.

So back to the workshop and some improvements to the attachment design.

Got the vacuum pump, pressure switch and reservoir working yesterday, and laminated up a spar for the new foil.

Back to my old heavy foil for a few weeks. I will have to sand it really smooth and see if I can get it going fast.

No comments: