Sunday, February 3, 2008

St George Sat 2/2/08

Much better this week. I spent two hours on the boat fixing things which I have neglected. Also repaired the foil pushrod during the week so again everything was working properly.

Unfortunately the wind was not so good and the fleet of 9 (8 foil and Kylie in Mark's scow) got away in about 5kts. Since I knew I could not fly in pressure that I settled in to old style sailing while most of the others were reaching off trying to fly. My strategy worked and I lead a the first mark. (This is rare in my moth racing so it must be recorded here for posterity)

But then a slight increase in wind saw Luka, Dave, Doink and Donosan lift and fly away. I managed to fly a little but not for as long in each puff as the others. But I was really pleased and think it all was working better than ever before, flying high and steady when it was going and getting up much more quickly than in the past. I must be gradually getting things right.

I stayed in front of Grant for a lap and then he bought better wind down on the run and caught right up. We matched race then for the rest of the race and he got the best of the last puff to edge ahead.

If the boat had not been performing so much better it would have been a frustrating day with such fickle winds but I enjoyed myself. Having such high standard competition helps develop the boat and technique and I look forward to more of it for the rest of the season.

No comments: