Saturday, November 15, 2008

Karma

Since Bruce has now published my interview on the Mothcast and revealed all my ideas about new moths I guess its time to post some pictured of whats in the shed.
When we did the interview, just before the worlds in July, my plans were to build a stressed ply hull for a plug and build a carbon / foam shell. But since then I have acquired the damaged hull of Karma Package Deal and as I still think the Hungry Tiger is the best hull in the water, and Thorpey builds lighter than I can, I decided to develop my low windage ideas around the Tiger hull. About 100mm of freeboard was removed along with flares and most of the foredeck. The main deck is the cockpit flipped over. Lots of material reuse in the internal structure but I still threw out 5kg of surplus materail.
The photos show the hull with deck panels sitting on top loose. The insides are complete with all hard points for wings and gantry plus fin case and mast tube. Deck should go on this week.
As I indicated in the interview the mast is a little forward from std at 900mm from the bow because that is where there was some framing, not the 500 of Chainsaw Mk2 or 800 of Chainsaw Mk3. The fin case is 150 in front of the Tiger position.
Foils are underway, gantry is complete but rig and wings will take a while. I need to sell the canoe first.

1 comment:

Alan said...

Hi Phil,
progress looks great, I can't wait to see it on the water.