Monday, May 3, 2010

End of Season and forward.

The season at St George ended with a good southerly on Anzac Day (thats our millitary memorial day, 25th Apr for Northerners). Dave won as usual even using an experimental new foil which did not seem as fast as his Fastacraft versions.

I had some exciting rides and finished OK finishing with a couple of late swims after a clean race. The wind switched after the start making for a short work and three angle of death reaches, then the pressure gradually built up to a touch over 20kts. Lots of fun.

After my poor result at easter due to some breakages, it was great to finish off the season with nothing to repair.

So on with the new build. I have added this new boat to my boat history spreadsheet, and it is boat number 40 which I have owned, number 25 which I have built, and my 14th moth!

Progress so far has been on foils and wings.

The foil verticals are based on Ilett shells with a slight taper, while the horizontals are from a new mold by Andrew Stevo, which is a little sleaker than has become common. He tested my foil on his boat on Anzac day and was the first airborne in the light stuff, but had some problems with our makeshift AoA and flap settings. Even so it stayed together and looked like it will go very well when sorted. He'll be making one for himself now.

The wings are started using some nice light sailboard mast bits and some CST compression struts.

I have the design for the cedar play hull finalised. Its based on the Hungry Tiger like 2004 version (from IMCA Builder's site: http://www.moth.asn.au/moth/?page_id=5), but will be lower, wider and a bit different along the keel line. Might as well optimise the low riding and take off abilities. This week should see me cutting ply. I love the smell of cedar, and sawdust is less iritating than carbon soot.

Since I am using up a lot of left over bits and pieces on this one there will be not much left over except Sawdust and Soot, and that just seems an appropriate name for the boat.

More soon.

4 comments:

Fred said...

Be careful with the Cedar sawdust if it is of the WRC type. It is not good for the health.

Have fun with the building. Interesting to have a spreadsheet about boats owned. I do avoid this sort of things as it proves for a lot of moonies spent...

Foiler Town USA said...

Phil,
Really interested to see how this shapes out. Keep the blog and photos coming.

Cheers Mate
Richard

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hi Phil,
I heard a rumour that Andrew had a moth for sale? Any chance you could send me his email address?
Will Moor