Monday, April 27, 2009

End of season

We had the last race at St George on Saturday, Dave won as usual but the gusty westerly was a good finale.
Since I sold Tiger on a Chain last week, I am now back to development work on Karma. I had some issues with the flap mechanism, mainsheet and mast bend, but I am happy to have spent a considerable time on the water without breaking a thing. So with the hope that the structural issues are over for now, I get to work on the refinements needed to these systems at least for a start.
The unstayed mast now has diamond struts equal to regular spreaders and although it was bending a bit more than needed for adequate leach tension, it felt secure and stable and gave me confidnece that it will make the grade with a bit more work. I will add a forestay next week so it will be rigged much like the canoe, except the mast is about half the diameter.
The weekend before I tried regular stays and forestay with normal length spreaders and prod. I found that the friction in the mast step/bearing was excesive under the staying loads and the rig did not rotate freely enough for comfort. I also broke the main foil T, so last week saw a T rebuild, discarding the removable T insert and building in a more substantial structure.
We have 4 races at the Balmoral winter series in May so I get a few more tests of the boat before a winter break. Hopefully enough to decide what systems will be viable for next season. Will probably get a purpose made sail for the rig over the winter as the mast bend profile does not match the KA very well.
Still no good photos of Karma, wait for some reasonable sailing performance before its worthwhile.

No comments: