Tuesday, August 21, 2007

TOC AUS 9343

The Tiger is of course a more dignified lady.
It eventuated that I had been buying various Thorpe moth components for my various boats, over the years that Mark dominated the (at least) Sydney moth scene. After a frustrating 04/05 season I shouted myself the biggest part of the Hungry Tiger, a new Hull, which pretty well completed the whole set.
It was probably a year or two too late as the foilers were already dominant, but it was something a moth fanatic had to do. Sailing the Tiger with conventional fin and rudder, and doing it reasonably well in moderate to strong winds, will remain one of my most rewarding and proudest sailing achievements. Racing other moths and bigger boats around the course at amazing speeds and on the edge of control was fantastic.
But I knew that era was over so Mark built the hull with the extra hard points needed for foil, wand and gantry. This was built concurrently to RTFM/Revelations #9344 so it can be argued that either boat is the last Hungry Tiger built.
The spars are genuine Thorpe and the wings were the Prepreg tubes made with Snubby for Chainsaw. All nice and light.
The foils were made as wet layup in a new mold as Fastacraft clones. Andrew had designed the tilting rudder box now employed by Bladerider so TOC was the second boat to employ it after his #9323. I initially used a big 900mm span rudder foil in an effort to lift my 85kg but this year I bought some BR prototypes and used one on each boat. A box Gantry was fitted earlier so now the configuration is almost standard.
My 5 year old Truflo sail is getting tired and is too full for fast foiling so late last season I bought a P&B sail from John Ilett. It is a reasonable KA clone but since it has the fashionable huge luff round the old faithful STIFF Thorpe mast does not work. I tried it but the sail just would not flatten. So now I have recylced a sailboard mast which more closely matches the requied bend and stiffness.
Now to learn a few lesons about foil angle of attack and wand settings from the Garda experience of others and the boat should be up and flying again for the new season.

Unless someone decides to buy it of course.

No comments: